Monday, July 4, 2011

Midterm Retreat: Reflect, Relax, Explore

After 6 ½ weeks spent in Kenya, and with just under 3 weeks to go, the FSD midterm retreat was a much needed break.  I could reflect on my experiences so far, spend some time relaxing, and go for some crazy adventures. Here’s the breakdown:

Reflect:
Although I was able to sort out some thoughts in my head, when I attempted to convey them through my blog I found myself staring at a blank word document.  Sometimes I feel frustrated: Why is that bottle of glue the only comfort to that child?  How is it okay for teachers to beat their students? Does being a mzungu make it okay for a pikipiki driver to exploit my wealth, and does my giving in just reinforce a stereotype?  Other times I feel confident and valuable:  My work and progress might just contribute some sort of lasting impact to my workplace.  I’m getting used to this whole “new culture, new food, Kenyan English” thing.  My host family actually likes me!  But no matter what I’m feeling at the time, I’ve found a sense of humor, a bit of patience, and a big smile to go a long way.  Because it’s not about the situation I’m facing, but rather how I handle it.  How I can manage the challenges, rejoice in the triumphs, and allow my experience to be meaningful and rewarding.

Relax:
I spent a significantly longer time than usual in the sunshine, leaving myself with some funny tan lines.  For the first time in months, I enjoyed a long, soothing stretch- a dancer kind of stretch.  (And was reassured to find that the splits are still not a problem!)  I participated in a short-but-refreshing yoga session and took a nap on a bench of a picnic table.  Just hanging around the campgrounds and chatting was a great chance to unwind.  Steamy hot showers, watching The Lion King, and eating real Western-style pizza also topped the list. J

Explore:
But don’t be fooled by my short “relax” paragraph; my weekend in Naivasha was certainly an adventure.  Naivasha is a small town and is a top tourist attraction for safaris in its national park.  One day we endured a walking safari, where we practically herded the wildlife as we followed (and chased away) zebras, giraffes, impala, and buffalo.  We were hot in the tracks of some leopards, according to the fresh footprints in the mud.  The next day was a biking safari and a hike through a gorge.  Again, we were getting up close and personal with some incredible wildlife.  And the gorge was just about the coolest thing I’ve ever seen (or at least hiked through).  Imagine 40-ft high sheer cliffs of limestone surrounding you on all sides with a small, hot stream running through the center.  If you don’t have the imagination, just watch Tomb Raider II; parts of the movie where filmed in that same gorge.  We were also attacked by a swarm of crazy vicious demon ants, but I think that’s a story for another blog post…

That’s all for now, short and sweet.  Goodnight and Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment